Bridge of Alcantara

Of Roman origin, it was heavily damaged and rebuilt in the X Century. That was when the third arch disappeared, reduced to a small door with a horseshoe arch.

During the reign of Alfonso X it suffered serious damage and was rebuilt. The West Tower belongs to this period, later altered and decorated during the reign of the Catholic Monarchs, whose arms decorate the walls. It does not show the pomegranate fruit since the reconquest was still not concluded.

A baroque triumphal arch replaced the West Tower in 1721 because of its ruinous state.

It was declared a National Monument in 1921.

Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES