Museum of El Greco

Inside you can find some of the works of El Greco, of which the most exceptional are a magnificent "apostolate", the "View and map of the town of Toledo" and "The tears of San Pedro". The museum is completed by paintings by Luis Tristán, Murillo, Valdés Leal and other artists.

The building was erected at the beginning of the XX Century, using an earlier one from the XVI Century and a Renaissance palace to bring together, on one site, the diverse work of the artist. The Marquis of Vega-Inclán was the person who bought these buildings and complemented them with furniture and objects from the XVI Century. The museum was opened in 1912.

A flat-roofed gallery encircles the building on the main floor, supported by stone columns featuring Ionic capitals. It has two Renaissance entrances that give access to the building; they are made of stone, brick and masonry.

The Museum has been closed by the works of adaptation of the historic building that houses it. In 2003, developing a new exhibition project, promoted by the Directorate General of National Museums and framed within a general plan for the renewal of the institution.

With the reform process has also created new public spaces such as the reception area, the recovery of medieval caves and historic garden of the Museum. Have also introduced new systems that allow better accessibility to visitors, especially for users with mobility or hearing.

For this new stage of the Museo del Greco has created a new visual language and graphic designs its new attributes and values​​. It conveys the idea of a museum and renovated in the aspects of communication with the public gives them a high.


Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES