Comendadoras convent

In 1364 Inés García de Meneses founded what was to be known as the convent of Santo Domingo el Real. From then onwards, buildings and plots were gradually annexed, a common practice in most convents in Toledo that made them grow with time into small urban structures with complex architectural asymmetries. One of the areas that best illustrates it is precisely this one, which has been called the Cloister of the Mona. At the end of the XVI century a great transformation took place in the hands of Diego de Alcántara, master builder of the Cathedral between 1582 and 1587. The double arcade that surrounds the building is built, and its spaces are closed with importat grillwork. In 1587 Toledo ceramist Sebastian de Morales is entrusted with creating the tiles for the supports and floors.
In 1935 the Comendadora nuns of Santiago left theirformer convent of Santa Fe and settled in the area of the cloister of the Mona and its environments.
During the second half of the XX century the nuns conducted various renovations in the convent, and slowly the loose tiles were removed and stored.

The discovery of all this material, considered exceptional both in aesthetic and historical terms, led to the need for restoring it and returning it to its original place in order to ensure its preservation.
The possibility of re-assembling the lost pieces to restore the overall image was addressed. The result has led to the recovery of an outstanding architectural ensemble of the late sixteenth century: the cloister of the Mona. While the restoration of the ceramics may stand out as the most attractive feature, it would not be understood without the perhaps more lowprofile, but no less spectacular, restoration of the cloister as a whole.
Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES