University palace of Lorenzana

It is of the few buildings to be built in Toledo in a very few years and is due entirely to the idea of a single architect, without so characteristic overlapping eras and styles.

When separated from the University College of St. Catherine, proved to be a need to make that adequate facilities. The Cardinal illustrated Lorenzana bought houses of the Inquisition and its neighbors and entrusted the work to the cathedral architect Ignacio Haan very end of the eighteenth century.

The little room for such great work requires an ingenious solution to build a double staircase attached to the front to make a dignified entrance from the first floor. This is where we find the grandiose home five vain, with monumental Ionic columns and sculptural decoration, which give way to a courtyard columnado.

The auditorium is covered by a half barrel vault decorated with flowery casetones. A founder of the giant shield, flanked by two angels playing the bugle of fame, the work of Salvatierra, is the culmination of this magnificent example of neo-classical architecture.

Following the closure of provincial universities in Spain in 1845, became the Institute provincial secondary education. It has now returned to its original destination, with headquarters Vicerrectorado Toledo of the University of Castilla La Mancha.

Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES