Palace of Fuensalida

Located in the Plaza del Conde, next to the church of Santo Tomé, it occupies practically all of the built side.

Currently it is the headquarters of the Presidency of the Council of Castile-La Mancha, but earlier the Empress Isabel of Portugal used to govern here on behalf of her always absent husband, as the old Alcázar castle was inadequate as a residence. The future Felipe II and his two sisters, one the future queen of Portugal and the other an empress, must have run around these rooms.

It was erected by the firsty lord of Fuensalida around the middle of the XV Century, Pedro López de Ayala. The building is a characteristic example of Mudejar palaces, executed on a base of brick, masonry, wood and plaster, built on two floors around a rectangular patio whose pillars bearing octagonal shafts are whitewashed and crowned with capitals of heraldic decoration from the counts. The entrance with lintel, made of marble, is the element that stands out on its austere facade, with the coats of arms of the owners, this being the prototype of Toledo gothic-Mudejar civil architecture.

In the hall there hangs a velvet shield of the empress, the one that she brought with her in 1525. Isabel died during labour in this palace on 1 May 1539 and her son, then 11 years old, had to preside over the departure of the funeral cortège to Granada, since his father, broken by grief, locked himself away in the convent of la Sisla for weeks. The duke of Gandía took charge of the sad removal of his beloved queen, a few years later renouncing ordinary life. He became third superior General of the Jesuits and today we know him as San Francisco de Borja.

Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES