Palace of Lorenzana

This is one of the few buildings in Toledo that was built in only a few years and completely obeys the idea of just one architect, without the very charcteristic intervention of ages and styles.

On the University separating from the School of Santa Catalina, it became necessary to provide it with adequate facilities. The honourable cardinal Lorenzana bought the house of the Inquisition and its nearby land and entrusted the work to the cathedral architect Ignacio Haan at the very end of the XVIII Century.

The lack of space for such a large work obliged him to use an ingenious solution of building a double staircase attached to the facade to provide a worthy entrance from the first floor. This is where the grand entrance with five openings can be found, with enormous Ionic columns and sculptured decoration that lead to a patio with columns.

The main hall is covered by a semicircular vault decorated with fine caissons. A gigantic coat of arms of the founder, flanked by two angels playing "el Clarin de la Fama" by Salvatierra, represents the climax of this magnificent example of neoclassical architecture.

After the closure of provincial universities in Spain in 1845, it became the provincial Secondary Education College. It has now returned to its original use, being the headquarters of the Toledo Vice Chancellor of the University of Castile La Mancha.

Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES