Hermitage of La Bastida

Located in a fine spot in a pine wood on the road to Argés, this was the first sanctuary for the Franciscan community, which moved to the then recently completed monastery of San Juan de los Reyes at the end of the XV Century. One of the most visited places in La Bastida is the «cave», where, according to folklore, the Blessed Ana María lived and died, also known as Mariana de Jesús, in the XVII Century.

The traditional Saint's Day is celebrated on the second weekend in May, culminating in a procession through the wooded areas surrounding the hermitage on the Sunday. The traditional lunch of rabbit and potatoes takes place on the Friday before, followed later by sampling of "migas y limonada" (fried breadcrumbs with garlic and pork, served with a type of sangria).

During the fiesta, pieces of chalk are taken from the cave and are placed in the mouth to remove all types of pain from this part of the body.

The hermitage is of a popular design, having one nave with a barrel vault and the characteristic chequered floor tiles and a patio with a hundred year old moral tree, where traditional auctions, games and get-togethers are held.

After the original sculpture was destroyed during the Civil War, 1942 Mariano Guerrero Malagón made a new image of the Virgin of la Bastida, using his normal method of using his wife Esperanza as the model.

Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES