Convent of San Juan de la Penitencia

The ancient convent of Franciscan nuns was founded by cardinal Cisneros and built by the architect Pedro Gumiel, combining the elements of Muslim influence with those of the Renaissance. It suffered a devastating fire in 1936, which reduced it to rubble, later being used as a shelter for the homeless after the Civil War.

The gothic entrance, under a tiled porch, is decorated with thistle leaves and a round painting. Another door, with a Renaissance shouldered arch and crowned by the cardinal coat of arms of its founder used to lead to the Colegio de Doncellas (Ladies College). In another street, since the building was built by uniting several houses, there is a third entrance with the same coat of arms and tiled porch.

This building currently houses the Music Conservatory and the Centre for International Studies of the Ortega y Gasset Foundation.

Practically adjacent is the Church of los Santos Justo y Pastor.

Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES