Church of Santiago del Arrabal

This church is considered to be one of the best examples of Mudejar art in Toledo, with its masonry walls using layers of bricks, the entrances framed by horseshoe arches within polylobate arches and the watchtower, whose first section is undoubtedly earlier than the rest, as early as the XIII Century.

The double blind brick arches that cover the three apses are round, pointed and polylobate. Inside, on the North wall of the transept, small boxes on the rose windows can be seen bearing the Hand of Fatima (Islamic symbol of protection).

The roof is made of wood, with Arabic inscriptions. However, the arches in the high naves are pointed, in a gothic style, the same as the lancet arch in the transept.

The altarpiece of the central apse is a magnificent example from the Renaissance, with plateresque decoration, by Francisco de Espinosa, which narrates the story of Christ and Santiago. From the richly decorated pulpit of this church, in 1405 San Vicente Ferrer managed to inflame the emotions of believers to the point of persuading them to occupy and convert the synagogue today known as Santa María la Blanca to christianity.

This hermitage preserves the holy image from the Hermitage of la Virgen de los Desamparados. The restorations and civil works in the second half of the XX Century left the church excepted, free from the adjacent constructions throughout the centuries that connected them with the Puerta de Bisagra.

Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES