Church of Santas Justa y Rufina

According to existing documents, its foundation was due to the Visigoth king Atanagildo, around the year 555. Almost nothing remains of that first structure that welcomed the largest number of believers during Muslim domination.

After an accidental fire in 1537 it was completely rebuilt in a Greek-Roman style with a Latin cross base and a wide nave with a polygonal apse, a stand at the base and side chapels. The ceiling has an excellent Mudejar frame. The only trace of the early temple must be the Visigoth pilaster on the outside, upon which rests a Caliph horseshoe arch.

The final restorations saw the discovery on its facade of an Arabic inscription alluding to the consecration of the temple. The entrance is modest with the sculptures of its patrons in a classicist style.

From this temple departs the silent procession of the Virgen de la Soledad as a precursor to Holy Week, exclusively featuring women in mourning.

Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES