Convent of Santa Ursula

The first Mudejar style church was founded in 1360. Remains of the church can still be seen, especially the wooden roof in the sacristy, the low suspended roof with tracery, forming eight and sixteen point stars with small honeycombed domes.

The entrance to the church is through the epistle nave, finding, behind the simple door, the chapel of San Nicolás de Tolentino, presided over by the magnificent altarpiece of "The Visitation", a work by Alonso de Berruguete, carried out in 1535. Under the central scene that gives its name to the group, flanked by two oval paintings showing San Cristóbal and San Antonio, there is a relief showing the Virgin of Bethlehem and two boards on each side of her showing San Juan Bautista and San Sebastián. The Stations of the Cross crown the altar.

The rest of the building was built at different times, centring on the patios. On the outside we can see the traditional semicircular, brick Mudejar apse, decorated with windows in polylobate arches that contain other horseshoe ones. The convent has had a boarding school for girls for many years.

Este sitio usa cookies de navegación, que recogen información genérica y anónima, siendo el objetivo último mejorar el funcionamiento de la web. Si continuas navegando, consideramos que aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información sobre las cookies y su uso en POLITICA DE COOKIES